5 Reasons to Hire an Executive Coach
The best more information advice Eric Schmidt, Chairman and CEO of Google, ever got was to hire an executive coach.
Initially when board member, John Doerr, suggested this, Schmidt resisted because as an experienced CEO he didn’t think he needed a coach. But now he is a big fan of coaching and states in an interview with Fortune Magazine that “everyone needs a coach”. (Check out the link in my resource box below to see a video clip of the interview)
Why click more details would a successful executive–someone talented as Eric Schmidt benefit from a coach?
Here are the top five reasons why leaders hire executive coaches.
1. To gain perspective. At the top of an organization you have a unique perspective, but it is also limited by your position of power. An executive coach is one of the few people that is able to tell you what you need to know, but cannot or will not see. Your coach can give you objective and constructive feedback on your blind spots, and provide an outside perspective on the business and your team.
2. To discuss ideas that are still in the inkling stage and support you in making better decisions. Ideas and strategy can grow through discussion. We all need a sounding board, but often the only people around us that we can talk to are click this site those that are impacted by the decision. Coaching is a place to test out ideas and strategy with someone you trust who has no vested interest or competing agenda.
3. Transitioning into a new bigger role. “What got you here won’t get you there.” A good coach can help a leader hit the ground running in a new role. Past success can be a big impediment to moving up the ladder successfully as we tend to repeat what has worked in the past even though it may not be appropriate in our new role. Executive coaching can accelerate the transition and ensure success.
4. To have a secure, safe, and confidential outlet to vent, when necessary. Pent up frustrations, anger, and disappointments impair good judgment, and relationships. Everyone needs a safe place and an understanding top eleven hack android person to complain to, to vent, and to talk things out.
5. To stay ahead of the curve and become a better leader. To win you need to continually upgrade your skills and think outside the box. Your coach will provide tools, training and insights that support you in playing your best game.